Sunday, May 15, 2016

Family Tree

I recently discovered the song "Family Tree," written by John Forster and Tom Chapin, and thought you might enjoy hearing it.  If the box below doesn't work, click this link.

 

Should you like to sing along, here are the lyrics.
Family Tree

Before the days of jello
Lived a prehistoric fellow
Who loved a maid and courted her beneath a bamboo tree.
And they had lots of children
And their children all had children
And they kept on having children until one of them had me.

Chorus
We're a family and we're a tree.
Our roots go deep down in history.
From my great great granddaddy reaching up to me,
We're a green and growing family tree.

My grandpa came from Russia,
My grandma came from Prussia.
They met in Nova Scotia,
Had my dad in Tennessee.
Then they moved to Yokohama,
Where Daddy met my Mama.
Her dad's from Alabama
And her mom's part Cherokee.

Chorus

Now one fine day I may go
To Tierra del Fuego.
Perhaps I'll meet my wife there
And we'll move to Timbuktoo.
And our kid will be bilingual
And though she may stay single,
She could of course co-mingle
With the King of Kathmandu.

Chorus

The folks in Madagascar
Aren't the same as in Alaska.
They got different foods, different moods
And different colored skin.
You may have a different name
But underneath we're much the same.
You're probably my cousin
And the whole world is our kin.

Chorus

You can tell that this fellow has done his research, though sadly he provides no documentation.

You can listen to John Forster sing more songs here.  

--Nancy.
.

4 comments:

  1. HA - funny observation about the absence of documentation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But then I suppose it would be hard to include sources in a song.... Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment, Wendy.

      Delete
  2. Yea I think we ought to be glad he didn't recite his resources ha ha. But it's sure a fun song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Michelle! Those sources would have been longer than the song itself.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...