Tuesday, June 2, 2015

The Boy with Merry Eyes

On May 27, my cousin Rex -- the boy with merry eyes -- passed from this life to the next.  Rex was born just a few years before me.

There were 8 of us grandchildren on my mother's side of the family.  My brother and I, nearly 11 years apart, were the bookends, the oldest and youngest.  The other cousins stair-stepped between us.  Rex was a little over two years older than me.  Wedged between us was Belinda, just 9 months older than me and about a year and a half younger than Rex.

Some Sundays my grandmother would make dinner for all four of her daughters and their families.  On those occasions it was a riot of grandchildren running in and out of the house, giggling, playing, teasing.  Rex, of the merry eyes, was the biggest tease of all.  I think he occasionally brought us youngest girls to tears with threats to our dolls' lives.  Belinda and I played well together because we were so close in age and I suppose, if Rex had been a girl, he would have joined us in our play.  But Rex was all boy, laughing and teasing.  Of course, by the time evening came and we all left Gramma's for our own homes, we were on good terms again. 

As Rex and I grew to adulthood and the years passed our contact was through Christmas cards with brief messages and greetings of the season. 

Rest in peace, Rex.  I'll forever remember your merry eyes. 

--Nancy.

Copyright © 2015 Nancy Messier. All Rights Reserved.

6 comments:

  1. Dear Nancy, I am so very sorry for your loss. May your lovely memories of time spent with Rex 'of the merry eyes' bring you solace. He looks like a dear fellow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Jennifer.

      Delete
  2. What good times you all had at your grandma's house. The childhood picture of Rex does not lie -- he looks like someone who would have been a tease. I know you will miss him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such good times they were, Wendy. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. Sorry for the loss of your beloved Rex. I'm learning this blogging thing as I go, I found you so I could follow you back. Thanks for following Generations Down a Red Dirt Road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Darnell. You'll catch on to blogging quickly, I'm sure. I think most of us learned as we went -- some just started a lot longer ago (not me, but others!). Thanks for being a follower.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...