Saturday, March 14, 2015

Nary a Hug, Hugs Aplenty - Sepia Saturday

The best Mom could do was touch Lady's side.  There was nary a hug for her -- at least not from my mom.

Lady was the boxer puppy who came to live with us when I was 3 years old.  She was an excellent pet -- gentle, patient, protective, and playful (or not, as the situation required).

I suspect my father wanted a dog and my mother was ambivalent, at best.  But I like to think that if Mom had vetoed a dog, my father would have acquiesced.

Dad was the one who trained Lady in the fundamentals of being a well-behaved dog and a well-mannered family pet.  Mom was the one who set the boundaries inside the house:  she insisted that Lady sit on the rug when she came into the house until her feet were dry, lie on a rug and not on the carpet, stay out of the bedrooms, off the furniture, etc. 

Mom tolerated Lady, perhaps even loved her, but she rarely touched Lady and, as far as I remember, never ever hugged or cuddled her.

On the other hand, I love giving and receiving hugs from my Airedale, Hannah.  She's a rescue girl, saved from an abusive situation when she was two.  Her world was ruled by fear of everything and her method of coping was to duck, run, and hide.  After seven years with us she's still wary of strangers and timid in new environments but she's thriving in so many other ways. 

Hannah has adored me from the first night in our home when I slept on the floor beside her.  We share hugs aplenty.

Visit Sepia Saturday to find what others are sharing about pets and animals this week.

--Nancy.

Copyright © 2015 Nancy Messier. All Rights Reserved.

20 comments:

  1. You two look made for each other. What kind of great person would sleep on the floor with a frightened dog? You are number one in my book. And Hannah's too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen. I didn't sleep well that night but Hannah was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed that morning (and, of course, still scared of everything).

      Delete
  2. Some people are not naturally animal lovers, but ill-treating animals is totally unacceptable. That photo of you and Hannah is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working with Airedale rescue is painful because of the abuse we see. The abuse is awful but consequences to once spirited and joyful animals are so very cruel. Thanks for your kind word about the photo, Jo.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely dog Hannah is - and lucky to have found you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nell. She and I both agree that it's great we found each other!

      Delete
  4. Oh Nancy, what a beautifully told story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Airdales originated in Yorkshire, the county in which we live. I'm glad to say there are Airedales in my village and recently a Boxer puppy has arrived who always wants to play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Bob. I knew that Airedales were first bred in Yorkshire (near the River Aire, as the story goes), but imagine my excitement to learn that I have ancestors a few generations ago that were born and lived in Yorkshire (though maybe not near the River Aire). If you meet those Airedales and boxer and feel like giving them a pet, please give them one from me. I love both breeds.

      Delete
  6. Home at last! A wonderful story. I couldn't imagine life without my beloved animals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In rescue, we say "forever home." And Hannah definitely is (barring my husband's and my death at the same time). I can't imagine life without an Airedale.

      Delete
  7. Lovely story, and we got to see you and Hannah as well! Thank you for my smile right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky, lucky Hannah to have 'found' you! :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your mom must have been quite a dog trainer to be able to teach Lady the things she did ! And I loved Hannah's story. Good for you...and lucky for Hannah. What a sweet face.
    I haven't participated in Sepia Saturday yet this week but it turns out my last blog was about a pet anyway...and you found it! In fact I think a majority of my blogs are about my pets, past and present.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if Mom was a good dog trainer but when she'd made a decision, there was no getting around it: if she intended for Lady to sit on the rug inside the door, Lady sat. Yes, Hannah is sweet. She doesn't like to be photographed, though. Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment, Barbara.

      Delete
  10. I guess some of us are "dog people" and some are not. Your Hannah is a lovely girl - as is Lady. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're right, Karen. I'm sure my mom wasn't. Thanks for your kind words about Hannah and Lady.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...