Friday, March 15, 2013

Goodbye, Bessie

Bessie Gerner Shotts was my last known living connection to the older generation of Gerner ancestors.  Bessie's father, John Gerner, and my maternal grandmother, Beulah Gerner Doyle, were siblings.  I contacted her in 2006 when I first began to earnestly search for ancestors. She was very generous with her information. 

Bessie said that no one in her family was interested in family history, that no one wanted the information she had.  I think she was pleased to know that at least one Gerner descendant wanted to know more about our Gerner ancestors.  She willingly shared what she knew about her grandparents, Fred and Elvira (Bartley) Gerner, their children, and their parents, her own siblings, and her Gerner cousins, and their families.   

She didn't use a computer or the internet but her husband was computer savvy.  She asked him scan and print many family photographs.  Before sending them to me she made notes about every photo identifying people and relationships.  She also sent copies of family group sheets and pedigree charts. She answered my many questions.  Perhaps best of all, that Bessie shared some precious memories of her grandmother, Elvira, while she lived with Bessie and her family in Bessie's parents' home. 

Bessie passed away last Sunday, March 10.  Bless you, Bessie.  Thank you for all your help. 


 

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful that Bessie shared her family knowledge with you and that you have appreciated, and treasured, it... May you forever R.I.P. Bessie Louise Gerner Shotts.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...